By Lewis Kirk
I am Lewis Kirk and make my living as a bassoonist with the Lyric Opera of Chicago Orchestra and the Santa Fe Opera Orchestra. I am also the administrator of the Lyric Opera Orchestra Twitter feed.
How can musicians reap the benefits of social media?
1. Create interesting content. This post from the Lyric Opera Facebook page got 199 “likes” due to the human interest story of a brother/sister combination in the Orchestra.
2. Highlight what is unique about your work. Here is a Tweet pointing out the string sextet introduction to Capriccio by Strauss.
3. Cross reference other media that mention you.
4. Pictures speak louder than words.
5. Use hashtags to connect interested parties.
6. Look for posts to retweet that mention you.
7. If you follow or friend someone they are likely to follow you back. So do a bit of hunting to find people who might be interested in what you do and follow them.
8. Toot your own horn.
10. Share your passion, triumphs and struggles.
Follow the Lyric Opera of Chicago Orchestra on:
Facebook (Chicago Lyric Opera Orchestra)